Notes to help you prepare for the Challenge event
- It is recommended that all participants carry OS map 140 (1:50,000 Landranger) or OS maps 221 and 222 (1:25,000 Explorer), compass, food/drink, simple first aid, mug and some money. NB – The booklet provided will probably be adequate to find the route, but OS Maps could be vital if you take a wrong turn and stray from the booklet maps.
- Entrants are advised to listen to the weather forecast, wear sensible footwear and carry waterproof/windproof clothing.
- There will be several checkpoints on the route; all checkpoints supply cold drinks and a selection of sweet/savoury food. Hot drinks are available at Wolston and there may be extra water points as dictated by the weather. Hot drinks and a meal are also provided at the finish. All entrants should supply and carry a plastic MUG for drinks.
- All entrants should carry food/drink of their own to supplement these provisions.
- Baggage may be left, at the owner’s risk, with the organisers at the start.
- Facilities available at the start or Queens Head also include changing, toilets, onsite parking and refreshments.
- Toilets will be open at the Queens Head from the start time.
- “A Coventry Way” is designated on the latest OS Explorer series (1:25000) Maps 221 & 222. Note however that the OS Maps are in some places out of date.
- Accommodation overnight is the responsibility of the entrant – see Accommodation page for some options. Camping is available at The Queens Head, Meriden – phone 01676 522256 for details or to book.
- Public Transport. At the time of publication the bus service from Coventry, Birmingham and Birmingham International (Rail/Air) to Meriden (200m from Queens Head) is every 30-60 mins on a Sunday – Route X1. Please check with Centro Hotline 0121 200 2700 or 024 7655 9559 or visit Travel West Midlands website.
Final details will be sent out by mid-March, or soon after receiving an application from anyone who registers later (please do not phone to enquire any earlier).
For up to date information keep an eye on this website or check our Facebook page.